As any good Canadian knows and appreciates...July 1st is Canada Day (btw..it is my theroy that an American was here on our birthday..saw how much fun we were having and took the idea back south of the border...voila July 4th. Think my theory is wrong that Americans look so much to Canadians for guidance? When is our Thanksgiving and when is theirs...coincidence?..I think not) :) All in good fun my great American friends.
Sorry for the digression but I am feeling particularly honoured and proud of being Canadian and how far we have come in our very short life as a country. And when you think about it..the parallels to an entrepreneur's journey are uncanny.
1. It all starts with a vision or dream
2. It involves great goals and great passion
3. There is no overnight success
4. It is not an easy ride..there are many obstacles with casualities along the way
5. It takes a team of people to make it work
6. Cash is king!
7. We needed to adapt to changes in our environment
8. Strong leadership is essential but without it...we flounder
9. It's all about the journey..not the destination
10. With risk comes reward...
11. Failure is not fatal unless you don't get up!
...and so much more.
The point is..without an entrepreneurial focus our great country would not be where it is. So on Canada Day...I not only am honoured to be a Canadian but also an entrepreneur who is playing a part in the continued journey of our great country!
Happy Canada Day!!
- Rivers Corbett
- Rivers Corbett, MBA is an award winning entrepreneur, speaker, and author of "13 Fears of Entrepreneurs" He has received numerous business honors including Entrepreneur of the Year, Canada's Hottest Start-ups List and Canada's Fastest Growing Companies list through Profit magazine and most recently recognized as one of Canada's 10 Mentor RockStars.. Rivers is presently a member of Startup Canada's National Advisory Council, founding entrepreneur of StartUP Fredericton & the "Entrepreneur in Residence" at the University of New Brunswick. His real joy and expertise is being a StartUP Advisor and "zagging while everyone else zigs"...like his two newest businesses ventures the Relish Gourmet Burgers restaurant chain and TheRockStar StartUP for StartUP entrepreneurs. Oh... he is also the leader of a team of over 25 chefs through his other company The Chef Group. Not bad for a guy who hates to cook. Always looking for a new idea to help businesses' succeed...this is his newest marketing discovery for StartUPs The Lyoness Advantage. "Rivers is a 21st century entrepreneur, he's the one to watch" - Jim Gilbert: Canada's Huggable Car Dealer!