MeetRivers (.com)

My photo
Canada
Rivers Corbett, MBA is an award winning entrepreneur, speaker, and author of "13 Fears of Entrepreneurs" He has received numerous business honors including Entrepreneur of the Year, Canada's Hottest Start-ups List and Canada's Fastest Growing Companies list through Profit magazine and most recently recognized as one of Canada's 10 Mentor RockStars.. Rivers is presently a member of Startup Canada's National Advisory Council, founding entrepreneur of StartUP Fredericton & the "Entrepreneur in Residence" at the University of New Brunswick. His real joy and expertise is being a StartUP Advisor and "zagging while everyone else zigs"...like his two newest businesses ventures the Relish Gourmet Burgers restaurant chain and TheRockStar StartUP for StartUP entrepreneurs. Oh... he is also the leader of a team of over 25 chefs through his other company The Chef Group. Not bad for a guy who hates to cook. Always looking for a new idea to help businesses' succeed...this is his newest marketing discovery for StartUPs The Lyoness Advantage. "Rivers is a 21st century entrepreneur, he's the one to watch" - Jim Gilbert: Canada's Huggable Car Dealer!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Cancer Dream Team

Today was a special day for me..because I started a new journey.

Today I officially became part of the NB Cancer Dream Team. This team is a small group of people across our great province..about 12 of us...who have been requested to generate $10,000 for cancer "victims" across New Brunswick.

I couldn't be happier to do it. I am honoured to be part of such a team and even more so because cancer has touched my life so dearly this past year...

You see I am coming up to the 1st year anniversary of the death of one of my greatest friends in my life...my confidant...my hero....Superman!

My stepfather, Don Burke...gee I hate that name stepfather....
battled his fight with cancer with such courage, humour, tenacity and grace. He never gave up and he faced it all each day..never asking for pity only understanding.

That journey I took with him in his past year was one of the greatest I ever did. Crazy to say that but he taught me so much about life, my life and my future. I live today in much more peace than I ever have because of what Don taught me as he faced his own adversity.

And I know I am a better entrepreneur because of my time in his last year. I am more patient, I smell the roses of the journey now, I appreciate my family more and get this...I embrace risk more. Why? Because I want to live my life respecting his memory of what we experienced in his last year...Greatness! Imagine if when you died you said your life was Great!

So back to the Cancer Dream Team..yes I do it for all the victims and their friends and family...because I know what they suffer. I do it for my best friend because I want to honour his memory. But I also do it for me because of what I have become from my own journey as a family member of someone with cancer.

I am excited about doing this...just like I am excited about being an entrepreneur.

Follow your passion (business and personal) in everything you do..it will make your life so fulfilled.

Rivers
Here's to Your Success!

Rivers Corbett MBA
President/Founder

www.RiversCorbett.com
My Radio Show: www.blogtalkradio.com/riverscorbett
Twitter: www.twitter.com/riverscorbett

No comments: