MeetRivers (.com)

My photo
Canada
Rivers Corbett, MBA is an award winning entrepreneur, speaker, and author of "13 Fears of Entrepreneurs" He has received numerous business honors including Entrepreneur of the Year, Canada's Hottest Start-ups List and Canada's Fastest Growing Companies list through Profit magazine and most recently recognized as one of Canada's 10 Mentor RockStars.. Rivers is presently a member of Startup Canada's National Advisory Council, founding entrepreneur of StartUP Fredericton & the "Entrepreneur in Residence" at the University of New Brunswick. His real joy and expertise is being a StartUP Advisor and "zagging while everyone else zigs"...like his two newest businesses ventures the Relish Gourmet Burgers restaurant chain and TheRockStar StartUP for StartUP entrepreneurs. Oh... he is also the leader of a team of over 25 chefs through his other company The Chef Group. Not bad for a guy who hates to cook. Always looking for a new idea to help businesses' succeed...this is his newest marketing discovery for StartUPs The Lyoness Advantage. "Rivers is a 21st century entrepreneur, he's the one to watch" - Jim Gilbert: Canada's Huggable Car Dealer!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Gratitude for Being Grateful.

Now most people that know me will say that I am a pretty positive guy most of the time but let me tell you something that has taken me to a whole new level of enjoying life which includes keeping things in perspective...a must for entrepreneurs.

About two years ago my daughter Ashley gave me a gratitude book ...now the cool thing about the book is that it came with nothing in it..just blank pages ...I was to write the story.

Here's how it works...everyday ..I mean everyday...I write three things I am grateful for in my life. It can be business related, personal (family, snowboarding), grateful for the sun, my dog, being Canadian..whatever. The key is to practice WRITING being grateful for what i have.

The next thing...and this is very important...is to write three things I am grateful for in the future but to write them as if I already have it. So..I want to franchise one of my businesses...and therefore I write sometimes "I am grateful for 101 Relishes". Sometimes I write I am grateful my kids always want to come home. Writing it as if I already have it not only reaffirms the forces of being grateful but you know what...my mind believes it is true and some of the stuff I have written about being grateful for in the future has already happened...WOW!!!

I treat this daily exercise as important as brushing my teeth..:). It has given me a new awareness of how blessed I am. I wake up every day excited about my day and the things I am going to encounter and I am achieving incredible things. Now to be fair...there are other things that are impacting my life to get me to this position but I am certain it would not be the wonderful ride it is without that gratitude book.

And so before I go ...Thank-you to my daughter Ashley. I am grateful for you and your gift which is going to last a lifetime!

No comments: