MeetRivers (.com)

My photo
Canada
Rivers Corbett, MBA is an award winning entrepreneur, speaker, and author of "13 Fears of Entrepreneurs" He has received numerous business honors including Entrepreneur of the Year, Canada's Hottest Start-ups List and Canada's Fastest Growing Companies list through Profit magazine and most recently recognized as one of Canada's 10 Mentor RockStars.. Rivers is presently a member of Startup Canada's National Advisory Council, founding entrepreneur of StartUP Fredericton & the "Entrepreneur in Residence" at the University of New Brunswick. His real joy and expertise is being a StartUP Advisor and "zagging while everyone else zigs"...like his two newest businesses ventures the Relish Gourmet Burgers restaurant chain and TheRockStar StartUP for StartUP entrepreneurs. Oh... he is also the leader of a team of over 25 chefs through his other company The Chef Group. Not bad for a guy who hates to cook. Always looking for a new idea to help businesses' succeed...this is his newest marketing discovery for StartUPs The Lyoness Advantage. "Rivers is a 21st century entrepreneur, he's the one to watch" - Jim Gilbert: Canada's Huggable Car Dealer!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Friend Randy Gage is Such a Genius!

Choosing Mediocrity or Abundance


By Randy Gage

Last post we discussed the common belief that prosperity comes from reducing your desires to be happy with what you have. I told you I thought that was craziness. Here’s why…

That kind of lack thinking is what keeps people in mediocrity. Real abundance comes from striving for more, daring to be bold, daring and imaginative. Innovation happens. Personal growth happens. Because to manifest more, you have to become more.

If I accepted the common belief, I would have been happy working long hours in a restaurant, driving a beat-up old car, and living in a cramped apartment. I would have reduced my needs and desires to match what I had.

If I did that – or if you do that – what’s the difference between that and being dead?

If you connect with me on Twitter, then you know I just came back from another around the world trip. I mixed business and pleasure, doing some workshops in Rome, Sydney and Kuala Lumpur, interrupted by a trip of a lifetime to the Great Barrier Reef. What a spectacular experience.

And what an expensive one…

SCUBA diving has to be one of the most spiritual things you can ever experience. But do you know how much it costs? Do you think it’s a different experience to dive off Australia versus Lake Michigan? How about the two grand I spent to charter a helicopter to go back, because the waves were so choppy and we didn’t want to get seasick?

Now my oceanfront suite in the resort on the private island we stayed at goes for about $5,000 a night. I’m sure the Holiday Inn is a lot cheaper. But they don’t have Holiday Inns there.

The trip from Rome to Sydney was 20 hours. Which in First Class on Singapore Airlines with a lie flat bed, delicious food, and charming service is almost like a vacation in itself. Now could you be happy cramped up in the middle seat in the economy cabin on a flying slum like United? I guess so, but I don’t want to test that out.

How often have you heard people say that the best things in life are free? That’s a little misleading. Yes rainbows, watching a kitten play, and sunsets are still free. But it’s a lot cooler watching the sunset or catching a rainbow from your balcony on a private beach. And if you love kittens, it’s nice to be able to send a check to support the animal shelter.

People say a car just takes you from point A to point B. But people who say that have never driven one of my cars. Yes you could be a newlywed and be happy in a studio apartment. But I bet you’d be a little happier in your dream home.

What do you think?

-RG

No comments: